Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth, restoring the patient’s ability to eat and speak normally and improving the appearance of the smile. Getting a dental implant involves oral surgery and is a complex procedure, which is why it is so important for patients to find a good, well-qualified implant dentist. In McKinney, TX, as well as North Texas, the dentists to see for dental implants are Dr. Marvin Berlin and the rest of the McKinney Dentist team.
With years of experience and advanced training in implant dentistry, Dr. Berlin and staff provide excellent care for patients who need to replace missing teeth. Patients can expect to receive thorough information about the procedure, their options for sedation, and how to care for their new smiles. At McKinney Dentist, patient safety and comfort are the top priorities.
Why Are Dental Implants Beneficial?
- Unlike dentures, which can be cumbersome and must be replaced periodically, dental implants are permanent restorations that allow patients to truly return to a normal and comfortable lifestyle.
- Dental implants feel and function just like natural teeth, enabling patients to eat their favorite foods and smile with confidence.
- Dental implants promote better oral health. When a tooth is missing, the remaining teeth are at risk for shifting position and enduring uneven wear. Getting a dental implant prevents the teeth from moving and keeps the jawbone and surrounding tissues healthy.
- Replacing missing teeth can significantly improve a person’s self confidence. With dental implants, patients no longer have to worry about loose or fake-looking dentures.
The Process of Getting a Dental Implant
Dental implants are completed over a series of appointments with your dentist. Patients should expect the entire process to take several months. Rest assured, the results are well worth the time and effort.
- The first step is to go in for a consultation with an implant dentist, who will be able to determine whether you are a good candidate for a dental implant (most patients who are missing a tooth will be eligible for an implant). Then, your dentist will schedule your oral surgery.
- The next step is to undergo oral surgery, during which a titanium post will be implanted into your jawbone. This post is the implant, and it acts as a replacement for the missing tooth’s root. Following this surgery, some time must pass so that the implant has ample time to fuse with the jawbone in a process called osseointegration. This causes the implant to become a permanent fixture.
- During a later appointment, your dentist will evaluate the implant and attach an abutment, which will be used to connect the implant and the crown. A temporary crown is also placed at this stage.
- At the next appointment, the temporary crown will be removed and the permanent crown will be placed, completing the process.
Dental implants can make a world of difference for a person who has a missing tooth or multiple missing teeth. If you are looking for a dentist who can place a dental implant near McKinney or North Texas, visit Dr. Berlin and staff at McKinney Dentist.